Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Make This Again Pork Tamale Pie

Have you ever felt the kind of tired where if you sat down, you'd be at risk for dozing off? You know what I mean ... elbow on the table, chin propped up by your hand, eyelids threatening to close? Yeah, you know what I mean.

That's where I was yesterday, wiped out and faced with making supper. Naturally, the little natives in my house had the opposite energy level. Why is that? Is there some strange phenomena or alternative lunar cycle that creates this mayhem? Anyway, I do have a point in all of this. Due to my lack of energy (and enthusiasm) last night, I longed to just whip up a quick, no brainer meal. Luckily my larder is stocked full, so I had lots to choose from. But what to make? My depleted mental energy didn't even have the oomph to make that decision. So off to the internet I went for some culinary rescuing.

My internet searches kept bringing up the same recipe over and over, so I took fate's hint and went with it. The recipe was called Pork Tamale Pie and the same recipe appears on about 400 gazillion sites. It's touted as quick and easy, supposedly kid friendly, gluten free, and about 45 minutes to pull together. Yep, this was for me.

As I assembled the ingredients, I thought there's no way I will be blogging this as it's a bare bones, no frills recipe. I threw it together, plopped it in the oven, and 35 minutes later, I was dishing it out to my natives. It wasn't even very pretty, but guess what? They ATE it. They weren't wild about it, mind you, but they ate it and didn't raid the pantry afterward for snacks before bed. And hubbyman? He devoured it; kept going back for more. The man kept saying over and over how much he loved it, how I should make this again, should make this again, should make this again, etc. He even brought it up again this morning how great dinner was last night and how I should, you guessed it, "make this again". I couldn't believe it. I know that I stood there looking at him this morning with the blinking owl look as he's bringing up dinner from the night before.

Well, personally, I thought it was fair to good, but it obviously gets a thumbs up from the hubbyman. I'd much rather have real tamales, which I do make with great success, but this will do in a pinch. It's easy, meaty, cheesy, and corny. If those items appeal to you, tuck this recipe away for when you need a quick dinner. It would be good for a potluck, too.

Make This Again Pork Tamale Pie

2-1/2 cups shredded cooked pork + 1/2 cup broth
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup milk
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn
1 14.5 oz can peeled and diced tomatoes
2 eggs beaten
1 teaspoon ground pasilla chili powder*
1 teaspoon ground ancho chili powder*
1/2 teaspoon regular chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup shredded co jack or cheddar cheese
*NOTE: If you don't have ground pasilla or ancho chili powder, just up the regular chili powder amount to 2 teaspoons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. In a large pan over medium heat, combine the cornmeal, milk, corn, tomatoes, and eggs. Stir well and add the chili powders and paprika. Stir often and cook for 10 minutes. Add the pork and broth, mix well. Poor into the prepared baking dish. Top with cheese. Bake for 35 minutes.

I served this with creamy coleslaw, sliced strawberries, a plain fresh tomato salsa, and homemade guacamole. The cheese on top made it very cheesy. If you like cheesy, you'll like this.

I think this would be good with shredded beef or shredded chicken, too. I would prefer it with some onion, garlic, and a little chili pepper heat, but perhaps the absence of those is what appealed to my natives. In any case, it's quick, filling, and on the repeat list. Oh, and it's gluten free, all the way baby!

What are your "go to" meals for when you are looking for quick and easy?

24 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Great recipe! Somehow I missed your last post but what a great looking salad.

Jennifer said...

I love your hubbyman, what a good guy. I normally get "it's pretty good". ARGHH. My guy would love this too, he is a corn man! I usually fall back on the family favorites, mexican, or a casserole.

Maria Verivaki said...

it doesn't sound so crazy to find recipes off the internet, i do the same thing. the internet is probably the world's biggest cookbook. i've stopped buying cookbooks just for the recipes, they need to grab me in more ways than one

Pam said...

I think it looks great! I love tamales so I am sure I would enjoy this pie.

Anonymous said...

What a great recipe. It sounds delicious.

Jan said...

Oooh I want to try that - it looks delish!!

The Blonde Duck said...

For quick and easy, I make breakfast tacos or some kind of enchiladas. Ben will eat any kind of Mexican food! As long as it's got cheese and beans, he's happy!

It looks delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Nothing like express meals. We need plenty of these "go to" meals for when we lack energy but need to feed the masses:D Good save!!!!!

Deborah said...

I love tamale pie, but I don't think I've ever had a pork version. And I usually judge if I'll make a meal again by how my husband reacts. If he says he likes it without me asking, I know it's one that I can make again!!

Marjie said...

Hope you're feeling better today; the house full of company wears you out, doesn't it?

Love your serving there. The strawberries are beautiful! When I'm worn out, I grab a chunk of meat and plop it in the oven with some cut up potatoes. It may not be imaginative, but no one gripes, and that's what counts.

grace said...

great find, paula! it looks so hearty and soothing and moan-inducing. :)

Lo said...

Oh, I've totally been there. Dead tired with dinner to make. It's miserable!

But, it seems like everything came together nicely. I can totally get behind a nice tamale pie, and this one looks liek a winner!

Aggie said...

I know many of the nights you are describing...that's great that you were able to put together a new family favorite. The recipe sounds great, I've never made Tamale Pie but it sounds like something my fam would eat...I am going to have to throw this into the rotation!

Looks delicious!

Peter M said...

Looks like lasagna butt with flaky, tender pork in it...I'm in!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I was going to say the same thing as Peter did. I think it looks great! I agree with your hubbyman!

Linda said...

This looks like great comfort food to me. I'm going to try it one day next week.

dp said...

This definitely looks like something we'd like. With jalapenos and sour cream too. Very comforting.

When I want to fix something quick, it's usually pasta. Spaghetti or carbonara. Done in 30 minutes or less :-)

Esi said...

Hey Paula! Hope you're feeling less tired today. This looks great. To be perfectly honest with you, my go-to meals are frozen meals from Trader Joes!

pam said...

I think I agree with your hubs, this sounds fantastic.

test it comm said...

The pork tamale pie certainly looks tasty!

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

That looks so good, I'm drooling!


By the way, you have an award waiting for you on my blog.

Jan said...

I'm feeling just that sort of tired today, I'm slumping lower and lower over my keyboard. I'll probably wake up with QWERTY imprinted on my forhead.

Great looking pie, Paula. I usually fall back on pasta for a quick dinner. Spaghetti alla Carbonara, or tuna and pasta bake.

Paula said...

Hi Everyone! Hope each of you has a wonderful weekend!

Lisa: Thanks, both this and the salad go on the repeat list.

Cheryl: There's something about men and their corn!

Mediterranean Kiwi: I have a "thing" :-) for cookbooks, and I also surf the internet for recipes!

Pam: I'm actually craving real tamales right now!

Noble Pig & Jan: It's quick and easy!

The Blonde Duck: Breakfast tacos are great!

Bellini Valli: I love express meals that taste like you worked for hours!

Deborah: I'm a big pork fan, especially in mexican dishes.

Marjie: Those are the last of my garden strawberries. Meat and potatoes are always great!

Grace: I think my hubbyman did make yummy noises when he ate this!

Lo & Aggie: I fear I have more tired nights ahead of me! :-) I'll need more go-to recipes!

Peter and Proud Italian: The photo does resemble lasagna! It more casserole-ish though!

Linda: It only bakes for about 35 minutes, but it could help you prolong your cold war! :-)

dp: I would most definitely prefer this to have a little more heat ... a jalepeno would be perfect!

Esi: Hope your mom is feeling better!

Pam: It was a quick meal and filling, too!

Kevin: My hubbyman loved it.

Aussie Oklahoma: Thanks! It definitely appeals to those who love cheese! Thanks for the award, too!

Jan: You made me laugh with the QWERTY thing! Your tuna and pasta, or carbonara, or dumplings, or cottage pie would be so welcome on my plate!

La Bella Cooks said...

This looks so comforting and delicious. This is definitely a recipe worth trying!