Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Incredible and Flexible ... Savory Breakfast Frittata Muffins! (new title!)

Let’s take an opinion poll. Raise your hand if you like to plan every little detail of your day/week ahead of time. Okay, now raise your hand if you really don’t see the point in getting things done early, just as long as they get done by when they are supposed to. Hmm, interesting. I’m curious how many of you/us are somewhere in between?

I’m sooo not a procrastinator. I’d much rather get stuff done ahead of time, than rush around at the last minute. That said, though, I’m pretty good under pressure and try not to wig out when fate messes up my plans. In a household with three active children and a husband who works ridiculous hours, it’s imperative that I go with the flow and allow lots of wiggle room for the unexpected. The best way for me to do that is to have a handle on the expected stuff. My method of madness keeps me sane, well as sane as I can be!

My point is that I like to stay on top of things so I can be flexible. Despite what my hubbyman may tell you, I’m not a total type A personality. (Insert hubbyman making a “yeah, right” face here.) While I admit that I do, ahem, possess some of those tendencies, it’s also fair to say that I can go with the flow, too. You know, be flexible. In the movie The Incredibles, don’t you just love how the mom’s super power is that she’s “flexible”! That’s me. F L E X I B L E. Go ahead, look it up. It will say, “see Paula”!Today’s recipe is something that allows me more flexibility in my morning routine. I used to eat these for breakfast back when I was working outside the home, and have recently rediscovered these wonderful little beauties. Say hello to these incredible and flexible, nummy, yummy savory breakfast muffins. They contain no wheat, reheat beautifully, and are really very, very satisfyingly good. This is a VERY flexible recipe. Let’s see how often we all can use the word flexible today. Seriously, though, this recipe is thrifty in that it uses up veggie leftovers, and doesn’t require a trip to the store for special ingredients. I can whip up a muffin tin full, and I've got breakfast at my fingertips for days. Plus, it contains my beloved eggs, so you can see why I’m so pleased with it. Let’s begin and make up some ...

Flexible Breakfast Frittata Muffins

6 large eggs
1 generous cup shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
¼ cup crumbled bacon, ham, or sausage
¼ to ½ cup cooked veggies chopped fine such as broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, etc. (I used chopped leftover broccoli)
Sprinkle of onions of some sort – either green onions, chives, sauteed diced, or dried. (I used dried this time.)
Season Salt or Salt and Pepper
Muffin tins, 6 size
Quart sized measuring cup

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease your muffin tin, even if it is the non stick type. Crack the eggs into the large measuring cup, add a couple shakes of seasoned salt, and whip well with a fork. Place about a teaspoon of cooked veggies in the bottom of each muffin section of the tin. Sprinkle with your choice of onion (I used dried this time). Top with equal portions of meat (I used crumbled bacon) and then with equal portions of cheese. Pour the egg into each cup, filling about ¾ full. Take the fork and kind of push the cheese down a bit so that it gets egg on it. Put into the oven, and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then remove from the tins.If muffin filling pops over while baking, like mine did here, gently loosen the edges with a butter knife and it should pop right out of the tin.Hello, my sweet! See how beautifully they puff up! They don’t collapse, either. Enjoy! Oh, and these are gluten free, all the way, baby!A single muffin with some fresh fruit makes a great breakfast for me. These reheat beautifully in the oven or microwave, and the recipe can easily be doubled. I’m sure you could make this in a pan, but I prefer the muffin shape. With Easter around the corner, this would be good for brunch, too. The muffin shape makes them easy to serve, hold, and eat. YUM! It’s good to be FLEXIBLE!

24 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

These sound so different, but they look amazing! I will be trying these muffins soon! I try to be flexible these days, but when my kids were younger, we home schooled,(16 yrs!)and my husband worked evenings and I had to have things planned out or I went crazy!

Lulu Barbarian said...

Do your kids like these? I suppose that's a stupid question, you wouldn't make them otherwise, but I'm wondering if this would be a good kid-friendly thing to make for my nieces for a breakfast.

Maria Verivaki said...

these are really healthy
my kids definitely woiuld eatthem, but i know i have to hide the vegetables by grating them and making sure that they are invisible, but that's the first step in teaching kids how to eat everything!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I need to make these and keep them on hand during the week. I get so hungry around 8:30 at work. These look beautiful and with the veggies, so much more healthy. I love how much they puff up!

vanillasugarblog said...

I would so eat these cold too! YUM. I love easy on-the-go savory muffins like this.

Cathy said...

This is a great idea Paula. I'm terrible about eating breakfast so this would be an easy way to start the day off right.

Pam said...

I am very organized and am definitely a planner. These breakfast muffins look and sound perfect Paula. Wish we were neighbors.

Jennifer said...

Ohh girl what a great idea, they are beautiful and I want one right now please! p.s. I am a recovering type A, trying to be more laid back but its hard!

Maria said...

I am loving your savory muffins. What a great breakfast!

Unknown said...

this is a great idea for breakfast... thanks for sharing... :)

Manggy said...

Oh, they're like individual frittatas, I love them! Also great that you're able to sneak in a serving of veggies (and of course, meat. Heh).
I am totally a procrastinator, and totally flexible too! :)

grace said...

incredible and flexible, eh? like me! :)
seriously though, these sound (and look) divine. i enjoy a little something different for breakfast every now and then.

Marjie said...

Cute little portable omelets - what's not to love?

I plan everything, but am well aware that life has other things in mind for me, or, as Steinbeck famously quoted, "The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray."

Esi said...

I love these savory muffins! I am a little bit of a planner in terms of my meals since I cook so often, but let a lot of things go until the last minute as well.

pam said...

I'm a big time planner. And I plan on making these muffins!

Jan said...

I'm not much of a breakfast eater, but I'm sure I could eat several of these. BTW, I'm the world's biggest procratinator, and always put off til tomorrow, what I could do today. :-)

And, Paula, thanks for your concern about my liquid diet, but I am now onto soft foods. Yay! I never thought I'd be so glad to see a dish of mashed potato.

Jan said...

Breakfast muffins - what a great idea!

La Bella Cooks said...

These look beautiful! Can food look beautiful, that is? The golden top is very welcoming for sure. I am one of those that doesn't plan too much as it never seems to go as planned, so I let life go, and I along with it. Works well when you have kids too, have you noticed? ha ha. Now that is where the plans go out the window!! Hope you are doing well, Paula.

The Blonde Duck said...

These would be perfect for Ben in the mornings when he's rushing out the door. Printing!

Paula said...

Hi Everyone ... you know, after I posted these, I thought perhaps I should have named them Frittata Muffins. Hmmm ... maybe I'll amend the title.

Lynda: Yeah, a fellow homeschooler!

Lulu: My kids won't touch them. These are little bits of heaven for me!

Med Kiwi: Grating the veggies is a great idea!

Katherine: They reheat beautifully and are so good.

Dawn: That's a perfect way to describe them. I've not tried them cold ... they're great at room temp.

Cathy: I love breakfast, but don't like gigantic sized portions. These are perfect.

Pam: With your food there, we'd have the best neighborhood potlucks!

Cheryl: Love it ... recovering type A! Ha!

Maria: They really are good.

Mikky: Your welcome!

Mark: You are soooo right; they are mini frittatas!

Grace: Incredible, flexible, and divine ... yeah!

Marjie: I bet you are the most organized person on the planet ... probably the most flexible, too!

Esi: I love them, too!

Pam: Let me know if you make them!

Jan: Glad you have moved onto soft foods. One can only have so much jello!

Jan: They are great!

Bridgett: I'm still a work in progress ... these kids keep me on my toes!

Duckie: They are perfect for on the go!

Anonymous said...

Do I plan every little detail of your day/week ahead of time? Yes. DO I follow that plan and get things done? No. I love egg/cheese muffins for breakfast. So easy to do Sunday night and then take to work during the week.

test it comm said...

These would make a great breakfast!

Kiezie said...

Perfect!! These look great!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. These really do look wonderful. How many muffins does this recipe make?