Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Garden Tuesday

Welcome to Garden Tuesday at It’s All Gouda. I could aptly call this Soggy Tuesday, as the Pacific Northwest is continuing to experience what I lament as biblical proportion rainfall. Despite the wet, wet, wet, the yard is full of springtime activity. Grab your raincoat, and let’s take a look, shall we ...The azaleas are just starting to tease us with some color. I suspect that by this time next week, they’ll be in full bloom.Remember the flowers on the strawberries last week? Those little lovelies have morphed into the first teeny tiny strawberries starts. Ah, what’s tiny and green this week, will be gorgeous and red in just a few weeks. YUM. My plants are LOADED with future bowls of strawberry shortcake.What's up, Doc? These carrots are almost ready to harvest. Can’t wait for these. YUMThe Greek Oregano is just gorgeous. Doesn’t it look like these leaves are talking to you? I hope to learn how to dry my own oregano this year. Any suggestions?This is a pitiful photo, but the purpose is to show how fast rhodendrons grow in this climate. This plant averages over 14 inches of growth per year, actually about 2 feet per year. About 3 years ago I whacked this down to its trunk (which earned me a lecture from the hubby). I assured him that no, I had not killed the plant and that it would be in full bloom by spring the next year. Guess I was right. Paula: 1 , hubby 0. hehe This puppy is now over 7 feet tall ... again.It sports a sea of soon to be red and violet blooms. Now ... where are hubby’s hedge clippers? Oh, just kidding. Maybe. hehe

21 comments:

Marjie said...

I have an ancient rhodo right outside my kitchen window. During some roof repairs a few years back, a sheet of plywood blew right off the roof and sheared off half that puppy. It's baaaackkkk! See? I'd have defended you. I love all the colors in rhododendrons, and I especially love the fact that they require no work! Your carrots and berries look great; I'm so jealous!

Spryte said...

The greens are so green!

noble pig said...

Yeah what's with all the rain going on there....especially today and the wind....but I love me some green!

The Blonde Duck said...

I can grow cactus. And jalepenos. That's all I got.

Claudia said...

But you are so wonderfully green! We finally had some thunderstorms. In the space of an hour, Minnesota turned green. (Love that nitrogen) Buds finally appeared on a burning bush (so it's not dead) and one of our rhodies started to open. Tulips tomorrow. But I want your lush green.

Tatersmama said...

I love me some rhodies, but they don't grow in this climate! I've slowly been adding more and more cuctus and succulents to the garden, as well as certain Aussie natives that don't require much water... but I miss the flowers more than anything.

Can you send me a bucket of water? We can only shower every two days (for 5 minutes at a time) and it's getting old fast!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Gorgeous pictures. You're a talented photograhper and kitchen goddess!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Goprgeous garden! We haven't had sunshine in over a week.

Pam said...

Beautiful. Now if only the sun would shine.

Maria Verivaki said...

it rained cats and dogs in hania the other day - we are so thankful for it, as it gets very warm and stays like that from spring to summer.

a good spring shower revitalises us in spring.

pam said...

It's raining here too, everyday! On my blog, I did a post on drying herbs. My oregano goes crazy, I have to literally yank it out. It is the bully of my herb bed.

OhioMom said...

First on drying herbs .. I have a gas stove so I just wash and dry them well and lay them on paper towels on a large cookie sheet, pop in the oven (the pilot light provides the perfect warmth) .. do not turn on and/or preheat oven and forget they are in there :) They should be sufficiently dry within 3 days or less, strip leaves off stems and place whole leaves in a glass jar and store until needed.

Waiting on azaleas and rhodies here :)

Lyndas recipe box said...

Beautiful photos! I love this time of year!

Lo said...

Aw. Look at those gorgeous gardens. That oregano is calling my name.

Up here in the northlands (OK -- OVER here) things haven't quite greened up yet. But, I'm waiting. Patiently. :)

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh your garden looks much better than mine! Thanks for all your good wishes, we are doing surprisingly well.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Love the rhododendron story. Ain't it grand bein' right? LOL

Your yard looks damp and lovely and inviting. Would love to sit on the porch with you drinking Americanos (I'll bring them) and watching the rain water your yard!

La Bella Cooks said...

I would love to come to your house just to be in your garden. Mine has absolutely taken off the last couple weeks with the heat. Your is absolutely stunning, Paula!

Manggy said...

Hah, I'm sure the plants are very appreciative of the rain... At least they're not burning away like they are here! I can't wait to see what becomes of those berries :)

Cathy said...

Isn't spring wonderful! Everything is budding out and looks lush and green. Great photos, by the way.

Bren said...

i don't think i've ever tasted greek basil? how is it?? so lucky you're able to have a lush garden! Happy Mother's Day!

Jan said...

To dry herbs, I just hang them from hooks in my kitchen ceiling and leave them to do their own thing. When they're fully dried, strip the leaves and put them in an air tight container. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. :-)