Friday, July 3, 2009

Crunchy-licious Waldorf Salad!

Yeah! It’s Friday! Even better, my husband has the day off (or so he says). My husband works very looooong hours, but thankfully we still recognize each other when we see each other. It will be nice to tackle some of the chores waiting in the queue to finally get done, as well as get in some quality play time. Now, before you go thinking that I tax him with chores on his day off, the main thing that needs to get done is building the shed that HE wants.

After working in the hot sun that has at long last arrived in our neck of the woods, he’ll need a cool refreshing salad to go along with his lunch. Enter in the Waldorf Salad! Have you ever had a Waldorf Salad? Ooooh, you are in for a real treat with this one. There are many, many versions of this salad floating around including making some with mayo, using grapes, adding onion, etc. I like something much different, and this one with it’s cool sour cream and honey dressing is my all time favorite.

It’s so simple, yet is always a bit hit. This recipe prepares two servings, and is very easily multiplied to serve more. Talk about easy to prepare .... it’s a total snap!

Waldorf Salad (Makes 2 servings but is easily doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc.!)

1 large crisp apple, chopped or sliced into bite sized pieces. Leave the skin on. (I used a Fugi, but use whatever you’ve got)
¼ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon, heaping of honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ - 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sliced celeryIn a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, honey, lemon juice, and zest. Stir in the apple, walnuts, and celery. Serve immediately, or put in the fridge for up to two days. You can, if you’d like, stir in some raisins, craisins, or slice grapes. I prefer to add either raisins or craisins, as I like the contrast of the crunchy apple with chewiness of the raisins/craisins. Oh, and of course, this is gluten free!

On another note, my hubby celebrated his 48th birthday this week.Isn’t this gift box a total hoot? It’s a pop up box that you place the gift inside, and then seal it up. The recipient has pull tabs that they use to open the box. It’s from Hallmark and we loved it!My kids always make cards. I love what they put together. What about you? Do you like homemade cards or store bought ones? Some of the store bought ones are a hysterical!, but I love the stuff the kidlin’s make, too. For the cake, my husband said he wanted a chocolate cake, and so my youngest daughter really, really, REALLY wanted to decorate his cake. Did I mention that she wanted to decorate his cake? REALLY wanted to? This was her first time decorating (beyond spreading frosting), and I gave her free reign to do whatever she wanted. I showed her how to use the frosting tip to write with, and then left her alone.She called for me a short time later, her face fallen, moaning that her lettering looked bad, that she didn’t like how it turned out, and how could we fix it. I took one look at her cake and told her that I absolutely loved it and so would her daddy. Assuring her that her cake with its homemade look would mean wayyyyy more to her dad than anything that a store bought baker could produce, her frown turned upside down, and we set out the cake. When her dad came home and saw the cake, he made a big deal out of how much it meant to him that she decorated it herself. Ah, times like that make me remember why I fell in love with that man!

Happy Fourth of July wishes to you all, and best wishes that you all have a lovely and safe holiday weekend!

15 comments:

Deborah said...

I haven't had a Waldorf salad in ages - I should make this! And Happy b-day to your husband, and I hope you have a great 4th!!

Jennifer said...

I love that dressing, I havent made a Waldorf for forever! Those home made cards are the best as is the cake, I know your hubby appreciated it much more than store bought!

Marjie said...

Love your star plate for the waldorf salad, and it's wonderful that Little Miss wanted to decorate Daddy's cake. My kids make birthday cards, too, and we keep them all. When I finally kick the bucket, they're sure to be wondering, "WHAT was she thinking???"

Happy Birthday to Mr. Paula, and Happy Inddpendence Day to you and yours!

Cathy said...

Waldorf is one of my favorites. My grandmother used to make it all the time. Love the crunchyness of the nuts, celery and apple.

A birthday and the 4th of July! What a celebration.

Robynn's Ravings said...

That is THE most precious cake! She did great! And don't you just love a man who is thoughtful and kind, especially to his children? I'm WITH you 100%.

Thanks for the recipe. One of my fav salads and I haven't even thought of it for a long time.

I have to tell you, Paula. You are the SWEETEST, most encouraging blogging friend. You totally "get" me and that means so much. Sometimes I think people assume I need fixing or I'm worse off than I am. But YOU? YOU see right through me to my funny bone. I wish I lived in the house down the street, too! I need all your green and rain and wouldn't we have a BALL together?! Happy
4th!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so cute she made him a cake! :) And Twirl's coming to an end..we're steadily approaching the climax...

Happy B-day to Mr. Gouda!

Anonymous said...

Yum.........so refreshing. Happy birthday to your m"Mr. Paula too eh! It was a lovely cake:)

Lyndas recipe box said...

This is a cool, refreshing salad, perfect for hot days-Yum!
Happy Birthday to your hubby!

pam said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby!

I adore waldorf salad, everytime I come across a different recipe I try it. So, I'll be trying this! I wish I had a cute star dish to serve it in!

grace said...

i know how hard it is to write on cakes, so please tell your daughter i think she did an excellent job!
i love the different kind of salad here--it sounds like it'd be a refreshing change! happy 4th!

Manggy said...

Aw, your daughter is so cute! I'm kind of tearing up a little here! Happy birthday to your husband! I'm sure when she's older she'll know that there's nothing more a father could want than a loving family (and a roof over their head, of course). I don't have Waldorf (or any, actually) salad that often, but I like your touch with the sour cream instead of mayo. I wonder if it's healthier? ;)

noble pig said...

She's so cute! Love the homemade cars and cake too, always special. And the salad...yummy.

Mickle in NZ said...

Paula - have you been peeping into my kitchen? I had all the ingredients for the salad. This recipe is sooo delicious. The hard decision was craisins or grapes - so I added both!

That's a beautiful cake, well done younger Daughter, and belated Happy Birthday to your Husband.

Hope the sunshined stayed with you all weekend,

Huggles, Michelle and Zebbycat

Maria Verivaki said...

you lucky woman being remembered for your 48th birthday - i must teach my kids when my birthday is so that they can wish me a heppy one too!

i was most intrigued to hear about your wedding experiences - i think my first non-greek wedding was when i was 20, so that was an even greatger shock to my system - there was even a pop band playing in the church and the bride sang a song to the groom!!!!

nothing like real culture!

Mickle in NZ said...

Dear Paula, wonderous home schooling Mom - please excuse and forgive my misuse of the incredible apostrophe.

I admit to apostrophe wrongness.

humble sorrow and much care,

Michelle in Wellington, NZ