Friday, March 26, 2010

Bavarian Crème Jello Salad – aka Orange Jello with Peaches and Cream Dessert

Um. I’m hopeful that no one will ask me what makes this recipe “Bavarian” because I have no clue why it’s named as such. What I do know, though, is that this is a delightful refreshing jello dessert.

Coming up with uber-soft recipes for my littlest gal’s healing mouth and throat has not been all that difficult, especially when it comes to cool treats. I found this recipe on the internet, and it caught my attention right away. It’s both cool and creamy, and very pretty to behold, too.

This is super easy to make, and requires basic pantry ingredients. As written, it feeds an army filling a 9 x 13 cake pan; next time I’ll make ½ a recipe. Here it is in its entirety. Let’s give it a go, shall we?

2 6 oz boxes of orange jello
1 can slice peaches, drained
1 cup whipping cream

In a large pot, prepare the jello as directed on the box. Pour into a 9 x 13 dish and set aside to cool for about ½ hour. After it has lost most of its heat, put it in the fridge to chill and set up just a bit, let’s call it semi-set, for about an hour.

Take out of the fridge, stir it up a bit, and set aside. Puree the drained peaches in a blender. Whip the whipped cream until it forms soft peaks. FYI: I whipped it stiff and had a darn good time blending it. Learn from the error of my ways! Anyway ... fold both the pureed peaches and the whipped cream into the semi-set jello. I started off with a spoon and switched to a whisk to blend it together. Put it back in the fridge to firm up, which takes at least a couple of hours or overnight.Serve with whipped cream. I shaved some chocolate on top ‘cuz I wanted to! Don’t you want to snag that stray choc curl there?Check out the gorgeous color and texture! This is very cool and refreshing. It would be great during those hot summer months when your palate just begs for something cold and tangy. It would be great, too, to bring to a potluck. The orange, peach, and cream flavors are just lovely together, in both taste and appearance, and I think this would work well with other jello flavors, too.Here have a bite. YUM! Of course, this is gluten-free which makes it a double bonus in my household!

13 comments:

pam said...

That looks so airy! I can just feel it melting in my mouth!

Marjie said...

I'm not bringing that to any potluck! I'm keeping it all for myself. You can bring this when you come for my chicken carcass!

Manggy said...

I believe the French named a gelatin-set (egg) cream Bavarois, just because of some special occasion or reverence to Bavaria, though it didn't originate there :) In any case, I like a simple recipe, especially one that incorporates canned peaches. Love the stuff :)

Lyndas recipe box said...

This looks so fluffy and delicious Paula...I'm sure your daughter and the rest of the family loved it!
It's extra special with the chocolate curls. :)

grace said...

what an interesting color and texture. and so fruity! is bavaria a real place? i've always wondered. i think i'll go look that up right now.

grace said...

it is a real place! it's a german state, and it's capital is munich. funny that i knew munich existed but had no idea that bavaria was real. and by funny, i mean sad. :)

Cathy said...

Yum, Paula, I love this kind of old fashioned dessert. My mom used to make jello salad all the time. It's so nice to see you blogging again. We all missed you.

Your little gal is in my prayers.

Jennifer said...

Soo glad the punkin is feeling better! I cannot wait to make this with sugar free jello!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I just checked in and oh my - I am so glad she is on the uphill side of this. I had a broken jaw during my senior year of high school - needless to say I do not like pureed food now. But, my mom was not as creative as you :)

Glad things are looking up - hang in there!

Pam said...

So refreshing and tasty - my kids would love it.

Laurie said...

Wow that does look good. My son would die over that. Your chocolate shavings are so perfect and they add a nice contrasting color.

This is my first time visiting so I had to scroll down to get to know you. The story of your daughter's surgery is incredibly powerful. How could anyone not want to save her front teeth at all costs. Her comment when you told her made me laugh. She does sound like an angel. Prayers for quick recovery and teeth that stay put.

Gloria Baker said...

Lovely dessert Paula! yummy gloria

Bronx injury lawyer said...

Looks like a refreshing dessert. Thanks a lot for sharing your idea.