Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Eggcellent Egg Salad Sammies with Tomato Orange Soup!

Ah, eggs. How do I love thee, let me count the ways. Fried, scrambled, boiled, poached, baked, stuffed, and .... made into salad. Egg salad, that is. Plain old, no frills, nummy-yummy egg salad.

Do you like egg salad? There are a multitude of ways to make this creamy goodness. Besides mayo, you could add any combo of onions, capers, olives, celery, mustard, cheese, bacon, dill, vinegar, salt and pepper, white pepper, peppers, hot peppers, pimentos, or even pickles. Man, that’s a lot of ‘P’s”! Me? Well, surprisingly I prefer it on the plain side. Just egg and mayo and a smidgeon of season salt. Plus, there are subtle differences on how to actually chop the eggs. You could mince them with a knife, slice with a gadget slicer, mash with a fork, or pulse in a food processor, to name just a few. Let’s address, too, the vast array of ways to serve the eggsellent spread. There’s the obvious choice to spread it on bread or toast, but there’s also folks who like to stuff tomatoes with it or serve it alongside crackers. To make me really dreamy eyed, serve the egg salad unadorned on toast (preferably rye). Throw in a bowl of tomato orange soup and I’m a happy gal. *Insert blissful expression here*

From what I can tell, there are no true regional or cultural recipes for egg salad. Mostly, folks just kind of make it the way their mothers’ did, occasionally trying something new, but reverting back to what their roots crave. That’s how it is with me. Egg salad in my house is simple fare, nothing fancy, but really tasty nonetheless. I don't dislike the other additions, rather I simply prefer it just like this. Let’s make Eggcellent Egg Salad, shall we?

Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled*
2 heaping Tablespoons good quality mayo
Smidge of Seasoned Salt
Rye Bread – toasted

In a medium sized bowl, chop the eggs into a very fine dice.I usually rough chop/slice it with a knife,and then mash it with the tines of a fork. I’ve used a grated potato masher, and that works well, too. I just don’t like to wash it, so I stick with a fork! Stir in the mayo.
Fold in the season salt. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until cold. Tastes great both ways. Spread egg salad on rye toast slices. It’s your choice as to how thick you want to layer on the egg salad. I prefer a medium thickness, and naked. Meaning, ahem, lettuce or tomato can sit this one out. Egg salad sandwiches go great with fruit, soup, or even chips. Just look at how creamy this is!Not goopy, not dry, just right! I served mine with a yummy, tangy tomato orange soup.YUM!Now that we have our sandwich, let’s make some soup. I make soup every week, cuz, well, I’m souper girl. We souper girls love to have soup for lunch. This tomato orange soup is THE BEST tomato soup EVER! Well, um, at least I thought it was pretty darn tasty. Even with the heavy cream, it’s very light and that citrus flavor really brightens it up. It’s ridiculously easy to make. Seriously. It takes less than 10 minutes, but tastes like something from a fancy cafĂ©. I found this recipe on the internet. As fate would have it, it’s from Elephant’s Deli in Portland. You won’t believe how good this is!

4 tablespoons butter
½ onion diced fine
2 cans diced tomatoes
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 cup fresh orange juice (I used Tropicana)
½ cup heavy cream

In a sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced onions, and cook over medium heat until onion is soft but NOT brown. Lower heat if necessary to just soften them. I stirred the onions often, and they were soft in about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add baking soda, thyme and pepper. Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or ladle into a food processor or traditional blender. I left a bit of texture in mine. Add the orange juice. Stir in the heavy cream just before serving.Mmmmm. See how pretty it is with just a tad of texture. Sample a bite and make yummy noises! Oh, and the soup is gluten free, all the way, baby!

*How To Make Hard Boiled Eggs

4-6 eggs (older eggs are easier to peel, but gee whiz, how often do you have old eggs?)
Large pot
Lid
½ teaspoon salt (if desired)

Place eggs in large pot and cover with COLD water. Water should be about 1 ½ inches above the eggs. Add salt if desired. Bring to a gentle boil, cover with lid, and remove from burner. Let sit for 12 minutes. Drain immediately, and cover with ice water for at least 10 minutes. Crack shells and peel. If your shells are really stubborn, peel them in a bowl of cool water. Watch your times closely so your yolks will stay a lovely yellow shade!


How do you like your egg salad? Do you like to add any of the items listed above to your mixture of eggy goodness? What about tomato soup? Do you wanna try some tom orange soup and join me in a blissful sigh?

28 comments:

Marjie said...

My mother was big on egg salad, but I was never a fan. Probably because she insisted in putting raw onions, which I despise, and green peppers, to which I'm allergic. Gee, with only one kid to keep track of, she might have gotten a clue? I do love deviled eggs, with pickles and your ingredients mixed with the yolk, and I can eat hard boiled eggs (which Ryan calls HBE's) any time! Your soup sounds great, too; I love tomato soup - any time, any where!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love hard boiled eggs! I've never tried egg salad though! Yum!

Tatersmama said...

Mine is basically the same as yours (I don't like the extras either) but I do add a tiny am't of French's mustard while I'm mixing it up.
Mmmmm mmmmm mmmm!

The first time I had egg salad in Australia, I just about gagged. They mix the chopped egg with MARGARINE only and then add a heaping tablespoon of curry powder!

Sandwiches are the same - marg, no mayo! *URP*

Anonymous said...

I think egg salad is one of my favorites. Just miracle whip and onions, salt and pepper. The soup is something I'll try. I haven't got a good "homemade" recipe I'm that fond of. Maybe this will be it:)

Jan said...

I like egg salad just like yours, no frills, and no additions to the sarnie.

That soup looks fab, I would never have thought of adding orange juice. Great job, Paula.

Cathy said...

Wow, Paula, great soup! Combining orange and tomato is a terrific idea.

You've reminded me how much I love egg salad. Gonna make some tomorrow.

dp said...

People wouldn't guess this about me, but I could literally eat egg salad sandwich every day, if I wasn't at all worried about my waistline, that is. I'm like you, I like it plain with mayo, salt and pepper. And it has to be on white bread.

I could eat sushi every day as well :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the orange in there. Very nice! Nice day for soup eh?

Lisa said...

Your soup looks quite delicious! I really never make tomato soup but the orange juice along with the thyme make it an intriguing recipe and well worth a try.
Egg salad - I'm funny about that. I don't like mayo and so avoid egg salad carefully. But when I went to Europe as a teenager I remember eating a fabulous egg sandwich. It was made from a sliced baguette, with slices of hard boiled egg piled on, and also lettuce and maybe tomato. I was hungry and so delighted it didn't have mayo on it that I thought it was the best sandwich I had ever eaten!

Paula said...

Hi Everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Marjie! Your mom fed you peppers? Alrighty then. :-( Tell you what -- you make some of that yellow cake with snow frosting and I'll bring the soup! Love Ryan's HBE phrase. I fear my son would tell me this gives him the heebee - jeebee's. (eye roll) It was fun seeing you over at Calvert today, too.

Duckie: If you like mayo, you'll enjoy egg salad. I wonder if Vivi would eat egg salad sandwiches?

Tatersmama: I, um, winced a little when I read about eggs blended with margarine! Talk about an unexpected bite!

Linda: You know, I don't think I've had Miracle Whip since I was a kid. My girlfriend's mom used to put it on ham sandwiches for us girls. I seem to recall that it was both sweet and tangy. If you try the soup, let me know what you think. I really liked it; it seemed to me to be much lighter than regular style tomato soups.

Jan: The OJ in the soup really was great! You can definitely taste it, but it's not overpowering. Rather, it was quite refreshing. Just curious ... Are soups popular in England? Hope you are staying warm and that your power stayed on!

Cathy: Hope your ankle is feeling better. An egg salad sandwich will definitely provide some comfort!

Darlene: Every now and then I really crave egg salad. There's just a little left, and I can't wait to eat it tomorrow! Thanks for the sushi comment! It was fun to make and eat.

Noble Pig: It was a great day for soup. It actually snowed here again today! I'm one of the few who actually like the snow; it really brightens everything up outside.

Lisa: That's how my hubby ate egg salad growing up! In fact, that's how he ate tuna salad sandwiches, too. Nothing was mixed together; rather it was composed. I'd gladly eat any kind of egg on a baguette!

Maria Verivaki said...

you've aroused in me some lovely memories of the egg sandwiches i ate when i was a school-kid!

Donna-FFW said...

Id love to joi you. How intriguing to have orange in the soup. Bet it packs a flavorful punch.

pam said...

Just yesterday I was thinking of adding a soup and sandwich night to my weekly menu! You know what they say about great minds! On the soup - what size on the tomato cans - 14 oz or 28 oz???

grace said...

your egg salad looks really appetizing! i'm not a fan of mayo, and i haven't been able to find a satisfactory replacement for it in egg salad. the soup is also super unique--great combo!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I do not normally have eggs but egg salad, and devilled eggs are on my list of must haves.

Pam said...

I haven't had an egg salad sandwich for years. I so want this for lunch today. The soup looks and sounds wonderful too. A perfect lunch.

Unknown said...

yup, definitely a comfort food... :)

Peter M said...

I dig a good egg salad sandwich and tomato soup sounds grand too1

Jennifer said...

OH MY GOD! I have not made Egg Salad in like, EVER! and the soup, the cafe in my hood (beaverton) makes tomato orange soup and I have been wanting to try it, you saved me the time! I gotta make that soon!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love egg salad and your soup looks yummy!Just what I need on this cold winter day!

Aggie said...

I absolutely love egg salad. My favorite sandwich...with tomato and onion on a toasted bagel or rye. YUM!

And that soup looks awesome!! Love the color!

Manggy said...

Weirdly, I'm not an egg person but egg salad sandwiches just scream comfort food that I can never say no :) I like mine with plllllenty of ground pepper and cayenne (hey, even my egg salads need to live dangerously!) You sandwiches look just perfect-- not runny or goopy at all!

Chef Jeena said...

I love the orange soup how creative!

La Bella Cooks said...

I started putting capers in my egg salad and I love the tang they give. Too yummy! I hated egg salad as a kid but started craving it when I was pregnant and so sick with my son. Weird, huh? This looks like a perfectly comforting meal.

Gloria Baker said...

Paula this is yummy,yummy,yummy!!!!Gloria

test it comm said...

Now that is a nice meal!

Maris said...

Your egg salad looks really good. I haven't had it in ages. I am more a fan of scrambled eggs or omelets but I could never turn down a good sandwich!

Anonymous said...

EGG SALAD IS THE BEST. I always looked forward to Easter as a child because I knew my dad would make the best egg salad with all the Easter eggs once we were done with them. And we had egg salad sandwiches for about one week straight. I've tried it all sorts of ways, but like mine best with mayo, Dijon mustard, salt, lemon pepper and pickle relish. The pickle relish is the best part and every recipe I come across has it left out! ~lol~ Also, I like to put it on a dark bread such as rye or a croissant, and add variations such as a slice of cheddar cheese or some dill pickles. But what I am intrigued by is your recipe for the orange tomato soup. I'm going to have to try it. I always liked making cream of tomato soup but I've never heard of the OJ addition. Yumm!