Thursday, January 1, 2009

Let's Get It Started featuring Blackeye Peas ... Salad that is!

Happy New Year! Are you ready to start writing the numbers “2009” on all of your stuff? I hung my new 2009 calendar up in the kitchen today. Do you have a calendar in your kitchen or den or wherever where you jot down all your appointments, due dates, birthdays, etc.? My calendar is brand spanking new (who came up with that expression?), a clean slate, and wide open. I wonder what wonderful things will happen this year? Corny, I know. I have lots of little lovely sayings like that. Little sayings and quotes that make me think or smile or sometimes perform dramatic eye rolls. For now, my blogging friends, it’s a new year full of possibilities ... Let’s get it started!Here’s something wonderful for you to try. This salad will get your taste buds started for sure. It’s traditional, particularly in the South, to eat black eyed pea dishes on New Years Day. Consuming the little spotted guys are supposed to bring good fortune in the New Year to all who consume them. Do you like blackeye peas? Do you prefer hot dishes or salads? I've heard that adding greens to them represents dollar bills, and that some folks even put a dime in their recipes to double their fortune. This salad is so good all on its own especially during the winter; it doesn’t require anything ... other than a spoon!

Let’s Get It Started Blackeye Pea Salad
1 can Blackeye Peas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped carrot
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper (You could jazz this up and add some hot peppers)

Vinaigrette: Whisk together
Olive Oil
Vinegar (I used white wine, but any kind will work)
Spicy mustard (Dijon will work)
Garlic Salt
Seasoned Salt
Black Pepper – LOTS
Note: You can substitute your favorite vinaigrette!

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the peas, carrots, celery, onion, and green pepper. Toss with the vinaigrette. DONE!I love this salad. It’s overflowing with great texture and flavor ... creamy peas, crunchy veggies, tangy dressing.Plus, it’s so pretty to look at and pairs beautifully with sandwiches, soup, steak, chicken, pork ... you name it! How do you prepare blackeye peas? I'd love to hear about it. Oh, and like most of my stuff, this is gluten free all the way, baby! Happy New Year 2009!

21 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Happy New year! I love how you serve this in a martini glass.

Esi said...

Happy New Year, Paula. This is a great start to the year. I don't normally keep a calendar, but I just got a new organizer that I think will be my best friend this year :)

Tatersmama said...

Oh, this looks SO good! I just love me some black-eyed peas, no matter how they're prepared!
I will definitely be giving this one a try, those my serving dish may not be a pretty as yours!

Maria Verivaki said...

this salad is fantastic - i love blackeyed beans served in this way; in fact, your salad is very mediterranean!
happy new year!

Chef E said...

Nice photo...I also did a similar recipe and presentation a few days earlier...

Cathy said...

I'm so ready for a salad like this...healthy, light and tasty.

I'm patting myself on the back because I already bought 2009 for my daytimer. Usually I'm running around like crazy in January trying to find one.

Pam said...

What a beautiful presentation Paula. I've never had black eyed peas before but I think it's time I try them.

grace said...

i can already state with certainty that i'll write 2008 on at least 11 things before i get it right. that's just my way. :)
great, fresh, fabulous salad, paula. it'd be delicious any time of the year. :)

Anonymous said...

In a martini glass is the best way to serve...so dang pur-tee!

happy New year to you!

La Bella Cooks said...

Happiest new year to you and your family. I hope your holidays went well. It is so hard to believe another year has gone by, can you? My son turned 10 on the 30th of December and I am still trying to figure out where the time went!
I love salads like these and I can just taste the flavors from here. I would feel so good after indulging in this. Looks wonderful, Paula!

Jennifer said...

I have never eaten black eyed peas! My husband spent some time in the south and would love this!

Marjie said...

My Carolina born and bred step-great-grandmother (great grandpa's third wife - the old coot outlived the first two) swore that black eyed peas were good luck for new years! Of course, my dearly beloved would not touch them with a 10 foot pole, so they don't come in my house. Your serving idea in the fancy glassware is so cute! And I love your Christmas plaid placemats, too. Happy New Year to you, hubby-man and the 3 offspring, with special drooly doggy kisses for your youngest from Thor!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I never knew blackeye peas could look so fancy! Love your presentation Paula. I would love your salad, everything in it sounds
delicious!! Nice start for the new year too!

pam said...

Happy New Year! I had my blackeye peas the same old boring way...I wish you would have posted this earlier!

QGIRL said...

We have blackeye peas for New Years too. (My father was Texan and it was like a must on Jan 1st). I have never thought of doing a salad. Brilliant! Thanks for the inspiration.
Happy 2009!

Unknown said...

Wow! I would love that salad! Delish!
And pretty too!

Chef Jeena said...

Happy new year Paula.

Great bean salad I love the dressing and the glass. :-)

Manggy said...

Happy new year Powla! I'm trying to think hard if I've ever even seen a black eyed pea :( Looks delicious, though, I am all for the legumes!

Chef E said...

I also just noticed that you home school, I did as well for ten years, and my son is in college now and a wonderful product of that environment!Hope it is going well for you...

test it comm said...

That is a nice and colourful salad.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had black eyed pea salad! Mama just always boiled them with ham. Those look great!