Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day Krispie Scotchies Dessert Bars


It's a special day here in the USA; our newly elected President Obama was sworn into office this morning. Like many Americans, I watched the ceremonies on TV with much interest and hope for the future. After the ceremonies, the President and other politicians joined together for a private luncheon. An announcement was made that the recipes for the luncheon received more hits than any other part of the inauguration website! We foodies know our priorities!

Actually, I haven't visited that website, but I did see the menu listed on another blog. It's kind of interesting how the whole Presidential luncheon thing started. From the main course to the dessert, the menus are planned well in advance and I'm sure thoughtfully and artfully put together.

Did you ever think about going into politics? I always wonder what drives someone to pursue the job of President or Prime Minister or whatever your country's top job is. When I was in 8th grade, it was our nation's bicentennial, and the school year was full of patriotism related activities. I remember seriously pondering what it would be like to be a Congressman, or Senator, or President, and I wondered at what age those who held an office had decided to pursue that dream. My oldest daughter is toying with the idea of running for middle school student council next year. Have you ever run for office, any kind of office? What was that like?

In honor of today's presidential inauguration, today's post at It's All Gouda is a sweet dessert bar recipe. Now I'm not much of a dessert baker or eater, and so you won't see many dessert posts here. As today is a special day, it's perfect timing to post something sweet. I call these lovely babies Inauguration Krispie Scotchies Dessert Bars, and I guarantee you they will be a hit with all who try them. They are safe for my gluten free future-voter, require no baking, are ridiculous easy to make, and are so incredibly yummy you'll want to share them with the entire world. They are a perfect marriage of texture and flavor, and a luscious treat for any special occasion. Here's to sweeter times ahead for the USA, and indeed, all the world.

Inauguration Krispie Scotchies Dessert Bars

1 cup Karo light corn syrup
1 cup sugar (told you it was sweet!)
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup Nutella (you could just use all peanut butter)
5 cups rice krispie cereal (NOTE: Rice Krispies are not gluten free, but do not bother my daughter as her problem is with wheat. You could substitute Rice Chex which are now labelled gluten free, yeah!)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

In a large non-stick dutch oven, combine the corn sryup and sugar, and cook over medium heat just until it bubbles (this happens pretty darn fast). Turn off the burner, and stir in the peanut butter and Nutella (YUM). Go ahead and lick the Nutella spoon, we'll wait. Okay, once the peanut butter and Nutella are incorporated, add all of the rice krispies. Put into a greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Press down with waxed paper or a silicone spoon. Melt chocolate chips and spread over the krispies. Melt the butterscotch chips and spread of the chocolate. You could melt them together since the chocolate and butterscotch will combine, but a thin layer of chocolate will remain if you do them separately. Let cool and cut into squares.

These are sooooo yummy. Despite what may at first glance appear to be coma inducing quantities of sugar, they actually are not cloyingly sweet. Much different than rice krispie squares, they boast a denser quality almost like a chewy candy bar and dessert mixed into one. Caramel type flavor as well as a faint hint of hazelnut from that wonder of wonders, Nutella, greet you with each bite.See the little rivers of chewy caramel type yumminess tunneling through the krispies? The peanut butter isn't overwhelming, and that chocolate/butterscotch topper is terrific.I didn't time how long it took to make these; it was something like less than 10 minutes. Super easy, and something that kids and grown ups alike will enjoy. Here's to making the world a sweeter place!

21 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

these look fantastic - remind me of my school days!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I have made these before and they are sweet and good.

Christo Gonzales said...

wow these look great...I will have to make these, my kid will flip..

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh, Paula, I've been sick and have missed all this good food you've been making. The Nutella addition in these bars are brilliant!!!

Marjie said...

Aren't you a wonderful Mom, thinking up a great dessert for little Miss! The boys watched, although I didn't. I watched my floor being sanded instead. God Bless America!

Anonymous said...

Did I just read you are not a dessert eater....wha? That is so interesting to me...I live for it.

These look wonderful and tasty...I'd eat em' up in a second.

Jennifer said...

those look yummy I happen to have a bag of butterscotch chips on my counter!

Linda said...

I love anything with peanut butter and chocolate. I'll be trying this recipe out.

Esi said...

This is a fantastic treat to celebrate this day!! You know, I used to want to be President. I actually had a plan. I went to school and my first major was English, then I was going to go to law school and get elected in the year 2020...I somehow don't think that is going to happen now :)

Lisa said...

It was an exciting day. Everywhere I went people were extremely upbeat about the ceremonies. And what better way to celebrate than with a sweet treat. Great idea!

grace said...

the thought of the combination of butterscotch, nutella, and chocolate makes my head spin and my stomach growl. incredible.

Lo said...

Oh, yum.
DH has been craving "scotcharoos" lately... I think these would fill in quite nicely. After all, who can beat nutella??

Pam said...

I have so much hope for our future - yesterday was a great day.

The Scotchies look really tasty. My kids would really love them.

Aggie said...

Yes, here is to making the world a sweeter place!! Love it! And love those bars...mmmm. I think I can handle these! ;)

The Blonde Duck said...

Excuse me while I drool.

Chef Jeena said...

These are wonderful and a perfect sweet treat. It is the kind of food that you say is for your kids but really you love to indulge in them yourself!

Cathy said...

Yummm, these look delicious. I love butterscotch chips, and adding Nutella and peanut butter, Outrageous! My grandchildren will give me big hugs for making these.

Sara said...

I love rice krispy treats, and I love nutella, so I need to try these!

Unknown said...

Those look truly mouthwatering. I've always made my Krispie treats with marshmallows, but I like this option of using Karo instead.

For anyone interested, there's a Valentine Ideas Contest where you can win a delicious Valentine's Day prize for submitting recipes and ideas.

Deborah said...

You should start posting more dessert recipes if they are like this one!!

Recetas al instante said...

it looks really good.
olga.