Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cauliflower is my kind of flower

I love cauliflower. Cooked, raw, baked, mashed ... I like it all. Growing up, my mom would saute it in a little olive oil along with some sliced garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Simple, southern Italian fare. Other times, she would treat it like a frittata, mixing it with eggs and other fine ingredients. Again, simple yet outstanding flavor.

Since the weather has been so crummy and cold, I've been inclined to prepare dishes in the oven as it helps toast the house a bit. Baked cauliflower + cold weather = comfort food. Just double click on the above photo, and check out its crispy goodness.

It's quite simple to prepare. Heat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. After rinsing, core one large head of cauliflower and break it into bite sized pieces. In a large mixing bowl, add 2T of Olive oil, two chopped garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if desired. Add the cauliflower and mix well. Pour onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven. Stir about every 5 - 7 minutes and bake until nicely golden brown ... about 30-35 minutes.

This can also be prepared on the stove top. Don't put a lid on your saute pan, though, as you'll end up steaming the veggies.

Serve as a side dish.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband loves cauliflower and I've never been a big fan until I roasted it. Yum-O! I will have to try adding garlic and red pepper flakes. g

Paula said...

Hi Gaylen,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a msg. Do try it with garlic and red pepper flakes; its awesome.

Lisa said...

This year I have discovered that I love roasted cauliflower too! Roasting it totally changes the flavor and I'm sure garlic and red pepper flakes are a great addition. I must admit, however, that I am ready for the oven roasted vegetable season to be over. (I am so ready for summer to arrive in this part of the world!)

Paula said...

Hi Lisa,

I soooo hear you regarding the weather. Come on summer! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a msg.

Rhea said...

I wouldn't have guessed that was cauliflower in the picture unless you said something! I usually eat it raw and dip it in ranch dip. yummmmmm.

Paula said...

Hi Rhea,

Raw with dip is good, too! Thanks for stopping by.

VCK said...

I hadn't tried roasted cauliflower until this winter. While it's not my favorite, it is a nice recipe to have in your repertoire when you want to change it up a bit.
P.S. I love your blog title! I'm such a sucker for puns.

pam said...

I love roasted cauliflower. It's my favorite way to eat it.

Paula said...

Hi VCK, Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Pam, I've only made this with a single head of cauliflower, but am thinking to double up next time and experiment with the leftovers ... if there are leftovers!

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy, Paula. I'm sure it would change Mark Twain's mind about cauliflower!

test it comm said...

Roasted cauliflower is great!

Paula said...

Lulu Barbarian - Mark Twain would ask for seconds of this educated vegetable!

Kevin - Thanks for stopping by!