Thursday, June 26, 2008

Party in the Garden

... for the ladybugs, that is! It's been slim-pickin's in the ol' sunshine department where I live, and everyone's garden, not just mine, is weeks behind in growth. Still, my little plants have been holding on waiting for their photosynthesis moment. And then a day and a half ago ... could it be? Have all the planets aligned? Is that ... the sun? Hallelujah! That glowing orb parted the clouds and bestowed upon us both dazzling light and summer heat. The birds are singing, the bees are buzzing, and the whole neighborhood has sprung to life right along with mother nature's finest. Ah, life is good.

In addition to those bees and birds, we've got some ladybug action going on in the garden. I can see why the ladybugs have set up shop in our plants. This garden is delightful. Following the Square Foot Garden method was the best decision ever. I'm still a novice using this type of system, but I've got to tell you, it's amazing. In the weeks that we've had this organic garden, unlike my friends and neighbors, I've not had to weed once. Not once. Not only are the plants thriving sans weeds, but it is sooooo much easier to manage than what we've done in the past. These beds are high, so access is a snap, and all the plants are organized in squares, not rows, so harvesting will be super convenient. Even though the weather has only just begun to cooperate, our plants have actually done very well in the nutrient rich, fluffy soil they call home.

Check out these pics.

Here's my basil. Just one day in the sun has helped this baby grow. This was taken after I harvested some lovely leaves, and look how good the young plant continues to grow.


Aren't these eggplant leaves pretty? I love the purple and green colors. Looks like the ladybugs like them, too!


This baby zucchini plant grew about 4 inches in 2 days. I'm sure now that the sun is out, it will hold true to its prolific reputation.


See these flowers and buds? Those are future strawberries. This variety will produce all through summer. If I need more, I can always request some from Marjie!


These beauties are cilantro. Pam, if you are reading this, I think of you every time I look at this plant! See the little lady bug standing guard over this plant? He's the bouncer. No pesky pests allowed here!


My middle child is a cucumber fanatic. She can't wait for these plants to grow, grow, grow!


Here's my littlest ladybug, who along with the real McCoy moseying up her arm, is watering my plants. She's definitely my green thumb child. My hubby and other bugs , I mean children, provide the appropriate oohs and ahhs at the garden.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

a friend of mine is growing tomtos and basil in her yard for me, since I travel so much. It's great. I just made a whole bunch of dishes with the basil. your little boxes look sweet.

Marjie said...

Hooray for that bright, glowing orb! It has been rare here this week. We don't have a garden this year; no enthusiasm amongst the younger set, and I have no intention of spending my time playing in the dirt! Mr. Paula did a nice job with the raised beds; tell him when he comes for his strawberries he can figure out where he and Jeffrey will put mine!

Fitness Foodie said...

Thanks for the comment. Your blog is full of great photos.

This is a beautiful garden. I am finally moving out of an apartment into a home with a backyard in August. I cannot wait to enjoy an herb garden too.

Jennifer said...

Thank Dog! the sun has finally decided to shine, my Basil is also really perking up, I thought I was going to loose it for awhile there! Stay cool!

Chef Jeena said...

Wonderful herbs, it is great to be able to grow your own and so healthy too. :-)

Deborah said...

I should try square foot gardening next year - I hate pulling the weeds! Your garden looks great!

Paula said...

Hi Flanboyant Eats: I love the word play in your blog name! Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Marjie! My hubby would take one look at all your homemade bread, yummy desserts, and full-on meals, and he would refuse come home!!:-)

Parker: When my garden gives me some zucchini, I'm making your veggie pizza!

Cheryl: Looks like we're in for a hot one this weekend! Hard to believe that my furnace was actually running yesterday morning. Keep cool in the heat!

Jeena: I've been craving Indian Food all day since seeing your biryani! Thanks for stopping by!

Deborah: Sq. Foot Gardening really has made gardening so much easier! Thanks for stopping by

pam said...

Paula, everything looks so green and healthy! Send me some of your clouds and rain (and cilantro) and I'll send you some of our relentless sunshine.

La Bella Cooks said...

Everything is so vibrant green and healthy looking. What a lovely garden you have. I always admire people who can do that so easily as I am destined to kill any plant under my care. Now, if I can only convince my husband that he needs to do it for me...

Katerina said...

The eggplant leaves are so pretty! I never planted any cause I thought I wouldn't get any actually fruit but maybe it would be decorative anyways.

Lore said...

Love the name of your blog Paula :) I'm so jelous, I wish I had a garden like yours...that basil looks gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

This all looks wonderful. I need a garden too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula! Your square foot garden looks beautiful! :)

Lisa said...

I love it! My husband used to do Square Foot Gardening. When we were in Texas our garden was gorgeous but we have been slow to adapt to the Pacific Northwest.

You give me hope! While my basil plants disappeared in this gray darkness of early June, yours is gorgeous. Thanks for showing me it can be done. I need to get out there and try again!

OhioMom said...

Really love your garden, your plants look good.

Esi said...

Your herbs look beautiful!! I only wish I could grow herbs on my porch in the city. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comments.